MAPPS Audio Recording Program
The audio recording program is 20 weeks. In those 20 weeks you will have weekly sessions for one hour with your mentor/ Pro Audio Engineer, one on one ,to focus on you as an engineer. During a weekly session day you will be assisting your mentor in a live recording session with real artists for a full day from beginning to end. You will learn how to use the pro tools interface efficiently with over 12 hours of step by step instruction with tutorial videos by professionals . In addition, you will get job placement and career coaching from our highly trained student service staff. Each student will gain credits and demo samples of your engineering skills to put on your own personal website to help market your self to get audio engineering work.
One on One!
This time is designated to go over your homework and focus on you as an audio engineer. We feel that everyone learns differently so we want our mentor to get to know you and how you learn best. Mentors focus on you in th one on one time, helping you to better understand the studio basics, tools used by professionals and the tricks and tips you need to know in order to run any studio session.
Your weekly home work consists of 3-5 assignments per week:
1. Reading of Modern Recording Techniques and Q and A:
Each week you will read a chapter in MRT. This will give you a firm understanding of the following.
a. History of recording and how it evolved from Analog to Digital.
b. Etiquette and terminology used everyday in real recording studios.
c. A firm understanding of the tools available to you in pro tools and 3rd party plugins.
d. Studio acoustics and design
e. Microphones, design and application
f. Analog tape recorder
g. Digital audio technology
h. The digital audio workstation
i. Groove tools and techniques
j. Midi and electronic music technology
k. Multimedia and the web
n. The are and technology of mixing
o. Signal processing
p. Noise reduction
r. Surround sound
t. Studio tips and tricks
2. Weekly Mixing assignments: Your mentor will have you mixing every week from home. He/she will start you from the ground up. Example; At the beginning of the course you are to start mixing drums from a song of your mentor’s choice. Then you do your drum mix for that song from home. The following week you will bring your Pro Tools session of the drum mix into the studio for your one on one time with your mentor. He/she will evaluate your session and mix. Checking for cleanliness, proper use of plug-ins, panning, compression, EQ, reverb, signal flow, over all sound quality and proper use of the sound spectrum. Your mentor will give you suggestions on how you can improve your mix. You are to take the next week to make those corrections and fine tune your drum mix. The following week in your one on one session, your mentor will again evaluate your mix and give you the next instrument/layer of the song once he/she feels you understanding of drum mixing is solid. You will continue to add the different instruments/layers to the song your mentor assigns you until your mix is complete. Once your first mix is complete, it’s on to the next song. We know everyone learns at a different pace so, some students will mix more quickly then others. There is no pressure or deadline to get your mix done. You will keep working on the first song until you fully understand how to mix and use Pro Tools like a pro. If you are a natural and your mix is good then you will keep moving from song to song and your mentor will enhance the challenge of the mix.
3. At home recording assignments: As an engineer we want you to be very well rounded. We don’t just see you mixing or producing artists in the studio, but having the flexibility to do sound design, audio editing or anything dealing with audio altogether. This means getting creative with recording and mixing. Each week you will be working on recordings from home. The recordings will consist of all organic sounds that are easy and fun to record. We call this your personal sound library. Each sound you record will be original and owned by you. You can do whatever you want with your sound library when the program is done. That means you can keep it for personal use and future recordings or can choose to sell it. Not only are you recording sounds, but you will have weekly assignments to help spark your creativity with the sounds you record. This means importing the sounds into Pro Tools to add FX in order to completely change the sound. We want you to do this so you get familiar with the FX that come with Pro Tools and how they are used so you become natural at using them and you look like a pro when mixing bands in the future.
4. Sound and hearing! As and engineer you will begin to tune your ears for sound. This means when you hear sound you’re not just listening to it, your evaluating the way that you’re listening to sounds and how it effects your ears. Some of your assignments weekly will consist of you evaluating a show, movie or record from an engineering perspective.
This will get you in the habit of always using your ears to pick apart whatever audio you’re hearing. By the end of the program we want you to be able to tell when something is over compressed or has too much reverb. For example: Once your ears are truly tuned you can hear a bass line, and just by listening to it , you will be able to know what frequencies need to be adjusted in order to make that bass line really pump with the drums.
5. The Final: Consists of you, as an engineer, finding a group in your local area to record and mix from beginning to end. Your engineer will have you and your group in the studio to record one song for your final. You will run the whole session from tracking to mixing.
6. Job Placement: Throughout the program your student Service Representative will be in contact with you getting you ready for the real world. This includes networking assignments, building relationships with studio owners and learning to advertise your services as an audio engineer. In this day and age it’s the you have to be aggressive and hungry to get the jobs you want. We help you be to be a go-getter . We will work to help you find a studio in your area to either gain freelance or full time employment.